As a plus size woman, I do a majority- probably 80% of my shopping online. I enjoy pieces from brick and mortar retailers such as Penningtons and Additionelle however I yearn for more. I was introduced to Boohoo, a junior clothing brand by bae Nadia Aboulhosnon. The online retailer carries both standard and plus size . I am plus size, nonetheless, my review goes beyond size . I am reviewing the brand and not just specific clothing items.
I’m not the target demographic for junior plus size brands. My alter ego, Chocolate Deluxe loves junior plus. She’s my inner video vixen who loves sexy and daring clothing. Her dream closest mimics Jennifer Lopez. I don’t have the budget for a wardrobe like Jlo. Even if I did, high-end designers with sexy clothing aren’t checking for Chocolate Deluxe. Chocolate Deluxe wants to fight the corporate gal inna meh!
Junior brands rely heavily on keeping up with trends and are “fast fashion”.
Fast fast is a phenomenon in the fashion industry whereby production processes are expedited in order to get new trends to the market quickly and inexpensively .
Fast fashion is bought mostly by young consumers who have a deep desire to look stylish and appear on-trend. Boohoo’s marketing approach is enticing and effective.
QUALITY & PRICE
I instinctively question the quality of junior & junior plus size brands. Boohoo’s quality is inconsistent and there are short cuts in the design details. Please expect non-functional pockets, or buttons, closures and straps that cannot be adjusted. You need to have discerning taste to find gems. I have DEFINITELY found though. Boohoo adds an edge to my staple wardrobe. I adore chic work wear, but I do love sexy clothing & statement pieces as well. Boohoo allows me to affordably re imagine my wardrobe.
- Boohoo`s plus clothing fits smaller than standard plus size- by at least one full size. Similarly, their standard sizes fit smaller as well.
- Their plus size line fit up to an US size 20 but fits an US size 18 more comfortably.
- Read the reviews!
- Pay attention to the details. Google the materials so you understand how the fabric moves.
- Mix high with low. Wear nice shoes or a designer bag. At minimum a real leather bag.
- Buy jewelry and accessories. It is the easiest way experiment with a trend.
- Avoid faux leather for trendy accessories.
- I love their basics. They are light-weight and stretchy but not see through.
- They are renowned for their uber sexy dresses in both standard and plus size.
- Check out their dresses followed by their tops.
- I avoid bottoms especially pants. It is easier to pull off an inexpensive top than pants.
Happy birthday Latifha! #darkskinwomen #plussizefashion #goldenconfidence #plussizemodelmag #plussizemodelmagazine #plus_isamust #bbbg #boldqueens #browngirlbloggers #blkcreatives #mindyourownself #slinksquad #blackgirls #darkskingirls #darkskin #womanism #darkskinwomen #blackgirlsrock #blackgirlmagic #blackwomen #melanin #melaninonfleek #thedarkerthebetter #blackgirlsarepoppin #54durhone #patrice #boohoo
LOVE ABOUT BOOHOO
- I have yet to pay duties which is ALWAYS a risk when ordering from online retailers as a Canadian customer.
- The shipping is only $11 CAD.
- Returns are easy. Even though you have to pay the postage, it isn’t a grip.
- They throw in a few chic and sophisticated pieces that pleasantly surprises me.
- Browsing Boohoo’s site reminds me of scrolling my IG feed. They add new items frequently, daily!
HATE ABOUT BOOHOO
- Inconsistency in the quality! UGH!!!
- Standard size model used on for the plus sizes.
- Lack of diversity in the models on the site. They are all white women.
Check out my Facebook page for try on video clips